Friday 3 March 2017

Mark in South Korea - Part 4 - Past the halfway mark

I have had such a wonderful time over here and it is both good and bad that the halfway mark of this trip has passed. Its good that I am past halfway because I am really missing my family and my friends and students. Its bad because I have had such a great time and learned so much so far but I can also see how much I have still got to learn. However here is where I am at this point in my trip.

While over here I have been training in five different Korean martial arts. It means that I am training pretty much every day and for multiple hours a day, sometimes going from one martial arts school and hurrying to the next for my next martial arts fix. So what am I training in?

Taekwondo and Haidong Gumdo of course. I haven't had the opportunity to do as much Taekwondo on this trip as I have wanted to although a lot of what I am learning in the other arts will really benefit my Taekwondo journey and what and how I teach. My Gumdo journey has gone forward in leaps and bounds. I have learned a whole new level of skill and technique in this art and I cant wait to get back and take my Gumdo students along for the ride. One of the best parts of this was a Bamboo cutting seminar I was part of at the World Haidong Gumdo headquarters. I say seminar but it was myself and a Master from Japan (he was American living in Japan) with the Bamboo King, Master TaeKyoung Lee. Such a privilege to be a part of this.

I am also continuing my training in Gongkwon Yusul. I started this art in 2014 and next week I will be sitting for my 1st Dan grading in this art. Gongkwon Yusul is a form of Korean Mixed Martial Arts of Korean Judo. Lots of great striking drills, ground fighting work, take-downs and rolls/break-falls. This past few weeks have really taught me so much in GKYS and I feel like its all coming together for me to be able to start teaching this art soon to students. You may start to see some GKYS drills leaking into Taekwondo training as well as some of the content extends across both styles.


The other two styles are Taekyun and Sunmudo. Taekyun I have mentioned before and is an old Korean Martial Arts and Sunmudo is something practised at Golgulsa Temple where I will spend the last week of this trip in a temple stay program. They now teach Sunmudo in Seoul as well so I have been training this three to four times a week as well. What is great about these two martial arts is that they have two different approaches. One is from a martial arts perspective and the other is for a movement and well being perspective. If you look at these two arts a different way, Sunmudo is a little like Korean Yoga and Taekyun can be performed like a Korean Tai Chi. I am looking forward to offering some classes in the future which are for the older generation or for people who only want to do a martial art for movement and well being. 

It hasn't been all perfect though. I hurt my ankle at GKYS training a week ago and it is still causing me issues. I am starting to think it was more than just a sprain but we will see how it goes. I have also been sick with a fever and cold and that wasnt pleasant. Neither of these stopped me training long term though. Codral got me through the cold and Korean anti inflammatory medicine is great :)

I have also met a whole lot of wonderful people who have gone out of their way to show me new things and experiences. I am so lucky to have a wife and family who love me and allowed me this opportunity and a leadership team and student base who support my journey. I thank you all and I cant wait to get back to you. 

U.N.T.

Mark

Mark Underwood holds the rank of Master in three martial arts, 5th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo. 4th Dan Black Belt in Haidong Gumdo (Korean swords) and 1st Dan Black Belt in Gongkwon Yusul (Korean MMA). He has also trained in a number of other martial arts styles. He is currently the owner and head instructor for Zone Martial Arts servicing the Sutherland Shire area from the Taren Point location 

No comments:

Post a Comment