Wednesday 8 March 2017

Mark In South Korea - Part 5 - The Jealous Winter and grading in Gongkwon Yusul

I was in the car today with Master Kim from the World Haidong Gumdo headquarters and I mentioned that it has gotten cold again. There were a few days of slightly warmer weather in Seoul (11 and 12 degrees), but the icy cold temperatures and wind have returned (1 degree). Master Kim told me that Koreans have a word for this, they call this Kkot Saem Chu Ui (Kotsamchewy if you are wondering how to pronounce it). 
He asked if I had ever heard this phrase which I hadn't. He said the weather change at the start of Spring happens often and its like Winter just doesn't want to let go. He said its because Winter is jealous. Winter is jealous of Spring and the blossoming flowers that Spring gets to enjoy but Winter never does. It is so jealous that Winter tries to fight back and stay longer so it can see the flowers but Spring always wins and the warmer weather comes. Kkot Saem Chu Ui roughly means Winter is jealous of the Spring Flowers.
I thought it was a beautiful story and I wanted to share it with you

In 2014 I started Gongkwon Yusul which is a Korean Mixed Martial Art style. It has striking, kicking as well as throws and ground fighting. Unlike a lot of general MMA, this style has a belt and rank system so you can keep track of your progress which has always appealed to me. 
Last night (March 7), despite the cold and my busted ankle (really need to see a Dr about this when I get home, I am doing a Nicole at the moment), I completed my 1st Dan grading test. What was also exciting is that I have been appointed as an instructor of this art as well so I can start teaching this to my students at Zone Martial Arts. This has been such a great art to learn and I am so happy to have made it to this achievement.



More training still to come this week for Gumdo, Sunmudo and Taekyun and my templestay adventure starts Monday next week and goes for 5 days. I am getting a little sad now that I realise that I only have 2 more Taekyun classes this week and 1 more Gumdo class but that's only for this trip. I have to move into consolidation mode for a while so that I don't forget all that I have learned and can learn more new stuff on the next visit.

U.N.T.
Mark

Mark Underwood holds the rank of Master in three martial arts, 5th Dan Black Belt in Taekwondo. 4th Dan Black Belt in Haidong Gumdo (Korean swords) and 1st Dan Black Belt in Gongkwon Yusul (Korean MMA). He has also trained in a number of other martial arts styles. He is currently the owner and head instructor for Zone Martial Arts servicing the Sutherland Shire area from the Taren Point location.


No comments:

Post a Comment